These instructions are for the research fields of Industrial Engineering and Management and Software Engineering (Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science).
The scope and composition of studies
The scientific postgraduate studies (total minimum 40 ECTS credits) compose of research field studies and studies supporting the research field as follows:
- studies in the research field minimum 20 ECTS cr
- studies supporting the research field (as many credits as needed to achieve the total minimum of doctoral studies)
Doctoral studies have to include 5-20 ECTS credits of general studies related to methodology or making science. These studies may be included in the research field studies and/or the supporting studies.
When planning your studies in Sisu please take into account that the studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be completed before the permission to print is granted by the Academic Council. LUT Doctoral School recommends that the studies should be completed during the first two years of studying.
Course descriptions (2019-2020) are available in the WebOodi study guide, please see instructions here.
Courses for the academic year 2020-2021 will be available in Sisu. See further information about Sisu on the Uni-page Studies and enrolment for the academic year.
Check also futher information on training and info sessions organised by the LUT University.
Please note! Doctoral students have to enrol for the academic year (attending/non-attending) every year. Enrolment is obligatory even if the student does not take any courses during the academic year. Please see further information.
General instructions on the selection of studies
- The studies must be postgraduate-level studies, for instance seminars, doctoral training network courses or university courses targeted for doctoral students.
- Courses taken elsewhere and their suitability for doctoral studies at LUT University is to be checked by the supervisor.
- If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (26 h = 1 ECTS credit, in whole numbers only).
- Maximum 4 ECTS credits can be given on the grounds of conferences from the student's own discipline (2 ECTS cr/conference), provided that the conference had a review board and the student gave a presentation. The study attainment may not be included in an article-based dissertation.
- Literature examination results: in addition to the name of the examiner and the number of credits, the student has to mention the author, title, the number of pages and the publication year of the book studied. 40-70 pages usually corresponds to 1 ECTS credit but also the difficulty level of the content affects the number of credits given.
- Master-level studies may be included at the discretion of the supervisor especially if the suitability of the course for postgraduate studies is mentioned in the course description.
- University pedagogy training offered by LUT University (only in Finnish, 25 ECTS credits) may be included in supporting studies as a module of 4 ECTS credits.