These instructions are for the research fields of Industrial Engineering and Management and Software Engineering (Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science).
The extent and composition of studies
The scientific postgraduate studies (total minimum 40 ECTS credits) compose of research field studies and studies supporting the research field as follows:
- studies in the research field minimum 20 ECTS cr
- studies supporting the research field (as many credits as needed to achieve the total minimum of doctoral studies)
Doctoral studies have to include 5-20 ECTS credits of general studies related to methodology or making science. These studies may be included in the research field studies and/or the supporting studies.
When planning your studies please take into account that the studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be completed before the permission to print is granted by the Academic Council. LUT Doctoral School recommends that the studies should be completed during the first two years of studying.
Course descriptions are available in the WebOodi study guide, please see instructions and futher information on education and training here.
Please note! Doctoral students have to enrol for the academic year (attending/non-attending) every year. Enrolment is obligatory even if the student does not take any courses during the academic year. Please see further information.
General instructions on the selection of studies
- The studies must be postgraduate-level studies, for instance doctoral training network courses or university courses targeted for doctoral students.
- Courses taken elsewhere and their suitability for doctoral studies at LUT University is to be checked by the supervisor.
- If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (26 h = 1 ECTS credit, in whole numbers only).
- Maximum 4 ECTS credits can be given on the grounds of conferences from the student's own discipline (2 ECTS cr/conference), provided that the conference had a review board and the student gave a presentation. The study attainment may not be included in an article-based dissertation.
- Literature examination results: in addition to the name of the examiner and the number of credits, the student has to mention the author, title and publication year of the book studied.
- Master-level studies may be included at the discretion of the supervisor especially if the suitability of the course for postgraduate studies is mentioned in the course description.
- University pedagogy training offered by LUT University (only in Finnish, 25 ECTS credits) may be included in supporting studies as a module of 4 ECTS credits.
The person responsible for the research field in question evaluates and confirms those study attainments that do not have a fixed credit value (for example essays, presentations). Please submit the result form already signed by the supervisor to the person in charge of your research field (see below) and also deliver detailed information on the study attainment. Only after that the result can be registered.
Persons in charge
Industrial Engineering and Management: Professor Janne Huiskonen
Software Engineering: Professor Ajantha Dahanayake
- The student submits the proposal for studies to be included in the doctoral degree (approved by the main supervisor) to LUT Doctoral School before the manuscript of the dissertation is submitted for preliminary examination.
- Possible supplementary studies (extra studies) have to be completed before the start of the preliminary examination.
- If you have already completed all the studies that you intend to include in your doctoral degree, please contact Ms. Sari Damstén (LUT Doctoral School) for further instructions.
- If there are still studies to be taken or results missing, please fill in the form Approval of studies for graduation as advised below.
Please note! All studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be registered before the permission to print is given by the Academic Council in question.
- When presenting the studies for graduation, the student has to specify the basis of evaluation (oral/written exam, literature review, etc.), the place of completion, the examiner and the extent of each study attainment.
- For literature examinations, the student has to list the name of the examiner, the number of credits, and the author, title and publication year of the book studied.
- The extent of the study attainment is given in ECTS credits (only whole numbers).
- If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (26 h = 1 ECTS credit)
Industrial Engineering and Management, Software Engineering:
- General studies related to methodology or making science (5-20 credits) may be included in the research field studies and/or the supporting studies. Please specify which of the studies fall into this category.
Economics and Business Administration:
- Studies supporting the field also have to include at least 15 ECTS cr of methodology and scientific theory studies. Please list them separately into studies supporting the research field.