These instructions are for the Doctoral Programme In Energy Systems (all research fields) and for the Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science (research fields of Computational Science, Green Chemical Technology and Technical Physics).
General information on studies
- Research field studies, minimum 20 ECTS cr: postgraduate-level studies, e.g. doctoral courses offered by doctoral programmes or doctoral training networks.
- Studies supporting the research field, 0-20 ECTS cr (so that min. total 40 ECTS cr is achieved): including at least one course on scientific writing and publishing is recommended (e.g. KIEN0020 English Clinic for Researchers and Doctoral Students).
When planning your studies please take into account that the studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be completed before the permission to print is granted by the Academic Council. LUT Doctoral School recommends that the studies should be completed during the first two years of studying
Course descriptions are available in WebOodi study guide, please see instructions and futher information on education and training here.
Please note! Doctoral students have to enrol for the academic year (attending/non-attending) every year. Enrolment is obligatory even if the student does not take any courses during the academic year. Please see further information.
One type of study attainment is to take examinations on scientific literature on the research area. When delivering the preliminary study plan as an attachment to the application, it is enough to give the general subject field of the literature in addition to the ECTS credits and how the content will be examined. 40-70 pages usually corresponds to 1 ECTS credit but also the difficulty level of the content affects the number of credits given.
Other scientific study attainments
Other scientific study attainments can include e.g. conferences or seminars.
Conferences from the student's own discipline can be used as a study attainment at the discretion of the supervisor. A maximum of 4 ECTS credits (2 ECTS cr/conference) may be included in the doctoral degree, provided that the conference had a review board and the student gave a presentation. The study attainment may not be included in an article-based dissertation.
Please note! After August 1, 2014 the postgraduate study plan for studies in the research field of Green Chemical Technology cannot include credits from conferences. This is applied to the doctoral students accepted after the date below.
Seminars that the organiser (university, doctoral programme) offers to its doctoral students are commonly accepted in the ECTS credit extent defined by the organiser.
Master-level studies, especially if the suitability of the course for postgraduate studies is mentioned in the course description, may be included at the discretion of the supervisor.
University pedagogy training
University pedagogy studies offered by LUT University (only in Finnish, 25 ECTS credits) may be included in supporting studies as a module of 4 ECTS credits. However, the final decision on the suitability of such studies for doctoral studies is made by the supervisor and the head of the doctoral programme.
- The student submits the proposal for studies to be included in the doctoral degree (approved by the main supervisor) to LUT Doctoral School before the manuscript of the dissertation is submitted for preliminary examination.
- Possible supplementary studies (extra studies) have to be completed before the start of the preliminary examination.
- If you have already completed all the studies that you intend to include in your doctoral degree, please contact Ms. Sari Damstén (LUT Doctoral School) for further instructions.
- If there are still studies to be taken or results missing, please fill in the form Approval of studies for graduation as advised below.
Please note! All studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be registered before the permission to print is given by the Academic Council in question.
- When presenting the studies for graduation, the student has to specify the basis of evaluation (oral/written exam, literature review, etc.), the place of completion, the examiner and the extent of each study attainment.
- For literature examinations, the student has to list the name of the examiner, the number of credits, and the author, title and publication year of the book studied.
- The extent of the study attainment is given in ECTS credits (only whole numbers).
- If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (26 h = 1 ECTS credit)
Industrial Engineering and Management, Software Engineering:
- General studies related to methodology or making science (5-20 credits) may be included in the research field studies and/or the supporting studies. Please specify which of the studies fall into this category.
Economics and Business Administration:
- Studies supporting the field also have to include at least 15 ECTS cr of methodology and scientific theory studies. Please list them separately into studies supporting the research field.