The scope and composition of studies
The scientific postgraduate studies (total minimum 40 ECTS credits) compose of research field studies and studies supporting the research field as follows:
- studies in the research field minimum 20 ECTS cr and
- studies supporting the research field including 15 ECTS cr of methodology and scientific theory studies
The prerequisite courses A210AJ201 Philosophy of Science 6 ECTS cr and A350A0250 Multivariate and Econometric Analysis Methods 6 ECTS cr belong to methodology and scientific theory studies.
Please note: if these courses have already been completed in the student's previous degree they cannot be included in the postgraduate studies.
When planning your studies in Sisu please take into account that the studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be completed before the permission to print is granted by the Academic Council. LUT Doctoral School recommends that the studies should be completed during the first two years of studying.
Courses for the academic year 2020-2021 will be available in Sisu. See further information about Sisu on the Uni-page Studies and enrolment for the academic year.
Check also futher information on training and info sessions organised by LUT University.
Please note! Doctoral students have to enrol for the academic year (attending/non-attending) every year. Enrolment is obligatory even if the student does not take any courses during the academic year. Please see further information.
General instructions on the selection of studies
- The doctoral pogramme recommends the course A350AJ300 Introduction to Doctoral Studies and Research, 1 ECTS cr to all students.The course includes contact instruction (course meetings twice a year and research seminar sessions) and it is suitable for research field studies or for supporting studies.
- The studies must be postgraduate-level studies, for instance seminars, doctoral training network courses or university courses targeted for doctoral students. Especially KATAJA and EIASM courses are recommended. Good qualitative research method courses are available for example through KATAJA.
- Courses taken elsewhere and their suitability for doctoral studies at LUT University is to be checked by the supervisor.
- If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (26 h = 1 ECTS credit, in whole numbers only).
- Maximum 4 ECTS credits can be given on the grounds of conferences from the student's own discipline (2 ECTS cr/conference), provided that the conference had a review board and the student gave a presentation. The study attainment may not be included in an article-based dissertation.
- Literature examination results: in addition to the name of the examiner and the number of credits, the student has to mention the author, title, number of pages and the publication year of the book studied. 40-70 pages usually corresponds to 1 ECTS credit but also the difficulty level of the content affects the number of credits given.
- Master-level studies, especially if the suitability of the course for postgraduate studies is mentioned in the course description, may be included at the discretion of the supervisor.
- University pedagogy training offered by LUT University (only in Finnish, 25 ECTS credits) may be included in supporting studies as a module of 4 ECTS credits.
The person responsible for the research field, Professor Paavo Ritala, evaluates and confirms those study attainments that do not have a fixed credit value (for example essays, presentations; in Sisu they are called study drafts). Information on the process in Sisu will be updated here later.