Postgraduate (doctoral) courses offered at LUT can be found in the Guide for Postgraduate Studies.
You can also check the course selection in the student information system Sisu (no log in required).
- You can search for courses for example by the name, part of the name or by code. Searching with the word "post graduate" is also useful.
- You can filter your search e.g. according to the course level or curriculum period.
- By clicking the course name you see the course description (info).
- When choosing courses, please remember to check the level of the course, which is mentioned at the beginning of the course description and also in the section Classification - Search tags ("For Post Graduate Studies").
- Choose the right curriculum period (version) under the course name to ensure that the course is available in that particular academic year. The academic calendar of LUT, please see here.
- If your do not find the course you are looking for it may have been omitted form the curriculum permanently or it has changed into a study draft*. It is also possible that it will be offered later, for example next year.
- Changes in the study programmes, please check here.
* study draft = The majority of the courses with varying extent (e.g. 2-6 ECTS cr) have changed into study drafts that have to be accepted separately in Sisu personal study plan. Usually the teacher sends the results directly to LUT Doctoral School so you do not have to include the result form as an attachment in your credit application in Sisu.
Sisu instructions for doctoral students - personal study plan, study draft
All doctoral students must create their own personal study plan in Sisu - it does not depend on the year you have started your studies. Instructions below include information about e.g. personal study plan, creating a study draft and applying for credits.
NOTE! When you apply for credits for your study draft (conference, seminar, literature exam etc.), you must still have the formal result from the teacher including information on the grade and the credits. The result can be delivered to LUT Doctoral School by email or you can attach the result form into your credit application in Sisu.
Sisu instructions for doctoral students, updated 11.10.2021
More info about Sisu in Uni.
Enrolling for courses and exams
Enrollment for courses and exams takes place in Sisu. In order to be able to enroll for a course the course must be included in student's primary study plan in Sisu.
Instructions for course enrolment: link to the Student Services Uni page
Training and info sessions
LUT University organises training and info sessions on different themes suitable for doctoral students. The compilation of activities on a separate Uni-page also includes actual courses that are suitable for most doctoral students and can be included in the supporting studies for the doctoral degree (offering e.g. so called transferable skills). The recommendations mentioned are given by LUT Doctoral School.
Read more on training and info sessions.
|Philosophy of science||Research ethics||Information retrieval and publishing|
|Research methods||Communication skills||Career services|
|Entrepreneurship||Research exchange||Research financing|
|LUT staff training||Dissertation process||University pedagogy|
In addition to doctoral courses offered at LUT University, doctoral programmes may also offer courses for doctoral students in their national networks.
Other possibilities - Networks, MOOCs and Flexible Study Right
In addition to doctoral courses offered at LUT University, doctoral programmes may also offer possibilities to attend courses in their national cooperation and doctoral training networks such as NORDTEK, KATAJA and others. Please consult your supervisor on this option.
It is essential to pay attention to the level of courses before taking them. This is important especially regarding courses openly offered online (MOOCs=Massive Open Online Courses, e.g. edX, Coursera). It is not possible to include "beginner"- or "intermediate"-level courses in the doctoral degree. "Advanced"-level courses can be included in the supporting studies if really necessary.
All Finnish universities are parties to the Flexible Study Rights Agreement (JOO), which provides also LUT University doctoral students the opportunity to include courses from other universities into their LUT degrees. Please note that the courses must be appropriate for the LUT degree without equivalent courses available in the LUT curriculum. Before applying discuss the issue with the supervisor as his/her statetement is required for the application. Further information in Uni, see the section Flexible studies.
Please note that the studies taken outside LUT University have to be approved by the supervisor as well before registering them at LUT. If needed, the supervisor also converts postgraduate studies completed in another institution to the scale applied at LUT University. In your personal study plan in Sisu this type of studies are called study drafts.
In order to graduate the student must have completed all studies required for the degree and the personal study plan in Sisu has to be ready.
- As soon as you have completed all studies that you intend to include in your doctoral degree, please contact Ms. Sari Damstén-Puustinen (LUT Doctoral School) for further instructions.
- Studies for the doctoral degree must be checked by LUT Doctoral School at the latest when the manuscript of the dissertation is submitted for preliminary examination.
- Possible supplementary studies (extra studies) have to be completed before the start of the preliminary examination.
- All studies to be included in the doctoral degree must be registered before the permission to print is given by the Academic Council in question.
Doctoral Programme in Business and Management
Economics and Business Administration
Doctoral Programme in Energy Systems
Energy Market and Solar Economy
Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science
Green Chemical Technology
Industrial Engineering and Management
The doctoral students of LUT University have to enrol as attending or non-attending for every academic year. Please note that you have to be an attending student in order to have study results registered.
If the enrolment (attending/non-attending) is not done by the deadline, the student will lose the study right.
The student has to enrol as attending for the semester in which he/she starts the dissertation process, as well as for the semester in which he/she is going to graduate.
New students: Please enrol according to the instructions received with the study right decision. The Student Union fee does not apply to doctoral students so there are no compulsory fees to be paid. You can enrol as non-attending for the first academic year only for special reasons (e.g. illness, maternity leave).
Continuing students: Enrolment for the academic year 2021-2022 has started on May 1, 2021 and ends on August 31, 2021. Note! Enrolment for the next academic year will be done in Oili-service. Please remember to enroll as a continuing student, not as a new student.
For late enrolment, a re-enrolment fee (35 euros) will be charged from September 1st, 2021 forwards. More information on paying the re-enrolment fee (see Enrolment for the Academic year - Enrolment after deadline, no student union fee for doctoral students).
Problems with enrolment? Please contact the Student Customer Service by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reinstatement of the study right
If your previous enrolment has been more than a year ago and you wish to continue your studies at LUT University, you must make an application for the reinstatement of your study right. Before submitting the application to the Student Customer Service, please contact LUT Doctoral School for further instructions.