Training and info sessions
LUT organises training and info sessions on different themes suitable for doctoral students. The compilation of activities on a separate Uni-page also includes actual courses that are suitable for most doctoral students and can be included in the supporting studies for the doctoral degree (offering e.g. so called transferable skills). The recommendations mentioned are given by LUT Doctoral School.
Read more on training and info sessions.
|Philosophy of science||Research ethics||Information retrieval and publishing|
|Research methods||Communication skills||Career services|
|Entrepreneurship||Research exchange||Research financing|
|LUT staff training||Dissertation process|
Doctoral courses in WebOodi study guide
The list of doctoral courses offered at LUT in the academic year 2017-2018 is available in WebOodi. You do not need a user ID to access the information.
Instructions and courses --- Study Guide --- LUT/Postgraduate (doctoral) courses 2017-2018
You can navigate to the list of courses with course descriptions via the interleaf "Degree Structures".
On the same interleaf you will also find information on other courses suitable for doctoral studies. However, before studying these courses please discuss the issue first with your supervisor.
In addition to doctoral courses offered at LUT, doctoral programmes may also offer courses for doctoral students in their national networks.
Other possibilities - Networks and Flexible Study Right
In addition to doctoral courses offered at LUT, doctoral programmes may also offer possibilities to attend courses in their national cooperation and doctoral training networks.Please consult your supervisor on this option.
All Finnish universities are parties to the Flexible Study Rights Agreement (JOO), which provides also LUT doctoral students the opportunity to include courses from other universities into their LUT degrees. Please note that the courses must be appropriate for the LUT degree without equivalent courses available in the LUT curriculum. Before applying discuss the issue with the supervisor as his/her statetement is required for the application. Further information in Uni, see the section Flexible studies.
Please note that the studies taken outside LUT have to be approved by the supervisor as well before registering them at LUT. If needed, the supervisor also converts postgraduate studies completed in another institution to the scale applied at LUT.
- The student submits the proposal for studies to be included in the doctoral degree (approved by the main supervisor) to LUT Doctoral School before the manuscript of the dissertation is submitted for preliminary examination.
- Possible supplementary studies (extra studies) have to be completed before the start of the preliminary examination (this applies to doctoral students accepted after June 1, 2014).
- Form: Approval of studies for graduation
Please note! Students starting their dissertation process in 2018 or later must have all their studies for the degree registered before the permission to print is given by the Academic Council in question.
- When presenting the studies for graduation, the student has to specify the basis of evaluation (oral/written exam, literature review, etc.), the place of completion, the examiner and the extent of each study attainment.
- For literature examinations, the student has to list the name of the examiner, the number of credits, and the author, title and publication year of the book studied.
- The extent of the study attainment is given in ECTS credits (only whole numbers).
- If the number of credits has not been defined, the scope will be measured on the basis of the amount of work by the student (26 h = 1 ECTS credit)
Industrial Engineering and Management, Software Engineering:
- General studies related to methodology or making science (5-20 credits) may be included in the research field studies and/or the supporting studies. Please specify which of the studies fall into this category.
Economics and Business Administration:
- Studies supporting the field also have to include at least 15 ECTS cr of methodology and scientific theory studies. Please list them separately into studies supporting the research field.
Doctoral Programme in Business and Management
Economics and Business Administration
Industrial Engineering and Management
Doctoral Programme in Energy Systems
Energy Market and Solar Economy
Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science
Green Chemical Technology
The doctoral students of LUT also have to enrol as attending or non-attending for every academic year. If you are a new student, please return the enrolment form immediately after receiving the decision on the study right. The Student Union fee does not apply to doctoral students so there are no compulsory fees to be paid.
Please note: Enrolment for the academic year applies to students already with a study right, so enrolment is not an application for the study right.
Enrolment for the academic year 2017-2018 starts on June 1st, 2017 and ends on August 31st, 2017. The student has to enrol as an attending student for the semester in which he/she is going to graduate.
Enrolment form 2017-2018 - please return to the Student Services Centre (the address is in the form)
If you enrol late, an re-enrolment fee (35 euros) will be charged from September 1, 2017 forwards. More information on paying the re-enrolment fee (see Enrolment for the Acadmic year - Enrolment after deadline, sections 1 and 2).
Reinstatement of the study right
If your previous enrolment has been more than a year ago and you wish to continue your studies at LUT, you must make an application for the reinstatement of your study right. Before submitting the application to the Student Services Centre, please contact LUT Doctoral School for further instructions.
LUT recommends that all doctoral students spend part of their studies abroad. It is worth discussing different possiblities for internationalisation with the supervisor. Further information is available from HR-unit (LUT employees) and in LUT intranet.