The first priority is given to the students who have done at least 55 ECTS during the previous academic year 2017-2018, i.e. 1.8.2017-31.7.2018. If a student has started the studies directly in a master's programme in autumn 2018, the students with at least 27 ECTS have priority. These two groups are merged into one list, in the order of the ranking numbers.
The ranking number is calculated as follows: the number of ECTS is multiplied by the average value and divided by the number of semesters present. First listing priority of the applicants is the 55 ECTS/27 ECTS of the previous academic year and the second is the ranking number. The number of candidates chosen for particular destination is based on these lists, depending on the number of places available. The applicant may apply to three host universities.
- also the current semester (spring 2019) is included in the divider
- one semester will be deduced from the divider, if the applicant has had one of the following positions: tutor for international students, member of student union board, chairman of a guild, summer school secretary, tutoring secretary, study advisor. Mobility online programme will make the deduction automatically, when the applicant chooses the position in the item "Did you have LUT related work assignments during your studies at LUT?" and defines the year in the item "Any other remarks".
- for students who have started their studies directly in a master's programme, the divider will be 1,5 and the number of ECTS is based on the record on 15.2.2019 in Oodi system.
- only the grades acquired after the beginning of the study right can be calculated in the total number of ECTS credits.
In addition to the ranking number, the designation of the particular study exchange place is taken into consideration, e.g. if the exchange is obligatory, like in the MIMM-programme. The most potential students applying to the USA may be interviewed (motivation, comparability of studies to the degree etc.)
The academic director of the degree programme may refuse the exchange, if the student cannot include the exchange studies in his/her degree or if the exchange studies will delay the graduation.
The exchange studies include only courses at the host institution. The exchange period is not meant for a thesis preparation. It is possible to apply a travel grant for international placement for thesis work abroad (150-500 euros depending on the area).
The exchange period for those students, who have started directly to a master programme, is mainly the autumn semester of the second year.
The recommended scope of exchange studies is 30 ECTS. The minimum number of ECTS is 20.
Note! Students who do their exchange semester during 2018-19, are obliged to have the credits recognized by August 31, 2019. If the student does not have the credits recognized by 31.12.2019 at the lates, the grant may be reclaimed. The Erasmus+ programme rules apply to Erasmus+ destinations.
Getting the studies started
The beginning of the academic year differs from the Finnish system in quite many destinations. In Central Europe the academic year begins usually in October and ends up in exams in early July. In USA and Nordic countries the academic year begins almost at the same time as in Finland. In New Zealand and Chile the academic year is a calendar year. The beginning of the academic year varies depending on the country, therefore it is recommendable to check the academic calendar from the university's website when you plan your exchange.
In the academic year 2019-2020 a 700€ scholarship will be granted to the 50 best students for overseas destinations based on their ranking numbers. However, you can go to your exchange without a scholarship.
Erasmus-scholarship is available for European destinations and Norek- or Nordtek- scholarship for Nordic countries (max. 20 scholarships/academic year 2019-2020).
FIRST-scholarship will be paid to those who are going to Russia for exchange (providing that Russia is not your home country). The amount will be confirmed later in the spring. In 2018-19 the FIRST-scholarship was 2240€/semester for St. Petersburg area and 2600€/semester for other parts of Russia.
In the next academic year there are no scholarships available for freemovers, but we hope that you will inform us about your possible exchange period.
Requirement for the scholarship
Requirement for the scholarship is to complete at least 20 ECTS credits during the exchange semester. Recommendation is 30 ECTS credits.
The financial support or part of it shall be repaid if the participant does not comply with the terms of the agreement. The participant is obliged to repay grant agreement if some or all of the following requirements is/are not fulfilled:
- Student must fulfil the requirement of completed 20 ECTS/academic semester.
If student is not able to fulfil 20 ECTS requirement, he/she needs to pay grant back according to following scale:
- Less than 5 ECTS, full (100 %) payback of the grant
- 6-9 ECTS, 75 % payback of the grant
- 10-14 ECTS, 50 % payback of the grant
- 15-19 ECTS, 25 % payback of the grant
- OLS Language test has to be done before and after the exchange period (Erasmus+ exchange students)
- The duration of the stay is shortened by more than 5 days in relation to the original plan and the sum to be repaid is over 70 €.
- Students are obliged to apply for a credit transfer of the exchange studies within the given deadlines (by March 31, autumn exchanges and by August 31, spring exchanges).
80% of the Erasmus scholarship is paid before the exchange and 20% after your return. The amount of Erasmus-scholarship is based on the length of the exchange period and the country category.
Group 1: Liechtenstein, Norway, United Kingdom, 420 € / month
Group 2: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, 360 € / month
The actual amount of scholarship will be checked after your return from the Letter of Confirmation signed and stamped by the exchange university.