International Student Exchange International Student Exchange

LUT University provides good possibilities to gain international learning experience through the worldwide network of partner universities.

Student mobility is facilitated by several study abroad programmes: 

  • Erasmus+ exchange in Europe
  • Nordplus exchange within the Nordic countries
  • Bilateral agreements with several partner universities overseas and in Russia

Our international network of contacts is designed to help you with your internationalization. 

Students who have been accepted to a two-year-Master-programme in English, are also entitled to include a study abroad period (one semester only) into their studies.

The recommended exchange period is the autumn semester of your second year. By the time of applying you should have obtained the minimum of 27 ECTS from the first semester.

Sufficient study success is required from all the students applying for exchange period. Average grade of your studies must be at least 2.

Note! If you would like to apply for the USA, Canada or New Zealand, you need to have an official language certificate already at the application phase.

If you took an official language test when applying to a LUT master programme, you can utilize the same certificate when applying for exchange studies.

Questions about exchange studies? Contact us! or book a zoom meeting!




Fall 2021 application round to Europe was held during 15.-29.9.2021. 

The main application round for the academic year 2022-2023 will be organized in the beginning of spring semester 2022. Detailed information about applying and the available partner universities will be published at the end of the year.



1) Master's Degree students, please first talk to your study programme's study councellor and see when would be the optimal time for you to go on exchange.

2) Fill in the form "Online application for a study abroad" , which you can access using the following link. (link will be published when the next application round opens)

3) After submitting the online application you'll receive a confirmation email which contains a login link to the LUT Mobility-Online system. Log into the system and attach the required documents to your application. After that submit it.

More information about LUT Mobility-Online and about the requiered attachments.


Application round for Double Degree for the academic year 2022-2023 will be arranged in the beginning of spring semester 2022. More detailed information about applying will be published here at the end of the year.



Look for suitable exchange destination in LUT Mobility-Online Exchange Possiblities Portal.

Language test requirements for exchange studies Language test requirements for exchange studies

You are expected to have sufficient language skills before your exchange studies. In most cases the language certificate required is an English language certificate, but often also e.g. Spanish.

Depending on the host university, the required language certificate may vary. In general it can be said that a language test is not mandatory for European destinations, but necessary to some non-European destinations. See study abroad destinations on the upper right hand corner of this page.

A LUT language certificate is based on a short interview (approx. 15 min) on topics related to your studies, academic and general issues. The language teacher will give you an assessment based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF).

In order to book an appointment with, please contact the following language teachers: 

ENGLISH: Matti Mäkelä,

SPANISH: Sari Pärssinen

GERMAN: Pirjo Rantonen,

FRENCH: Sari Pärssinen


Erasmus+ students

The Online Linguistic Support (OLS) supports language learning for Erasmus+ mobility participants. The OLS language assessment is mandatory for all participants of the Erasmus+ programme before and after the exchange.

Selected participants will be also able to take language courses after the completion of the first language test. These language courses are highly recommended.

Note! The host university does not have access to the test result, so OLS test is not a language certificate for the host university.

Students applying to non-European and Nordic destinations

If you're applying to the USA, Canada or New Zealand, you will need to have an official English language certificate before the application period at LUT closes.

You can find the minimum recommended scores below. Please note that some host universities may set higher language requirements – please also check the website of the planned host university.

TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS and PTE Academic language test certificates are valid for two years from the date of taking the test. If you took an official language test when applying to a LUT master programme, you can utilize the same certificate in this call if your test result is still valid.

If you will apply to Nordic countries, in general you will not need a language certificate.

Other, non-European destinations

If you will apply to a bilateral destination other than the abovementioned, you may need a LUT language certificate. The required language certificate is mentioned in the connection of the list of partner universities. See destinations on the upper right hand corner of this page.