The holders of Master's degree have the possibility to complete the postgraduate degrees of
Licentiate of Science (Technology) - Doctor of Science (Technology)
Licentiate of Science (Economics and Business Administration) - Doctor of Science (Economics and Business Administration)
Doctor of Philosophy
at Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT.
Doctoral education is offered in the following research fields:
- Energy Engineering, Energy Market and Solar Economy, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Sustainability Science (Doctoral Programme in Energy Systems)
- Computational Science, Green Chemical Technology, Industrial Engineering and Management, Software Engineering, Technical Physics (Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science)
- Economics and Business Administration (Doctoral Programme in Business and Management)
The doctoral degree requires approximately four years of full-time studies. The Licentiate degree usually requires two years of full-time studies. In addition to doctoral studies (min. 40 ECTS cr), the doctoral degree also includes writing a dissertation that is defended publicly in a public examination.
LUT University also has double doctoral degree and cotutelle agreements with its partner universities abroad.
The university aims at admitting skilled, motivated students who have the aptitude for a career in research and other demanding expert tasks, who are committed to their doctoral studies and research and who have sufficient skills in research.
In addition to the educational background of the applicant, also the availability of supervision and/or financial resources and the suitability of the expertise of supervisors available have an impact on the selection of doctoral students. Please see Application Procedure and Supervision.
There are no tuition fees concerning doctoral education.
One study place per term provision
According to one study place per term provision, a student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic term. This rule applies to all higher education also including studies for Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities. The academic terms run from 1 August to 31 December and 1 January to 31 July.
Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT requires all researchers to comply with good scientific practice when conducting or publishing research. The university is also committed to the guidelines of Responsible Conduct of Research and Procedures for Handling Allegations of Misconduct in Finland produced by the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity. The document defines good scientific practice and violations of it in multidisciplinary terms.
An ethical review or statement needed? The contact person at LUT University is Ms. Victoria Kompanets; further information is available on LUT intranet.
Publishing research results
The plan for funding must be included in the study plan. There are different possibilities to finance one's doctoral studies:
- working as a junior researcher at LUT University, please see open job positions on the university web page
- applying for scholarships, more information for example:
Aurora-tietokanta (Aurora database, in Finnish)
Council of Finnish foundations (in Finnish)
Research foundation of LUT
- working outside LUT University, in which case studying is part-time
- the Academy of Finland funding for different stages of the researcher's career, see Academy of Finland web pages
See also further information on LUT intranet (restricted access)