When you start planning your dissertation process check the important dates (Dissertation Committee and Academic Council meetings and deadlines) below.
You can read more about the dissertation process from the Dissertation process booklet (PDF), which is written by the LUT Doctoral School, the LUT Academic Library and the LUT University Press. The booklet is also available in printed form (Doctoral School, room 2318).
Please note! Doctoral students have to enrol for the academic year (attending/non-attending) every year. Enrolment is obligatory even if the student does not take any courses during the academic year. Starting the dissertation process or graduation is not possible without being enrolled as an attending student for the academic year.
Enrolment is open during May-August, please see further information.
LUT University Dissertation Regulations
Study carefully the instructions concerning dissertations.
Please note that before submitting the manuscript to the Dissertation Committee content and layout of the manuscript should be in its final form. This means for example that the language check must already be done.
A dissertation template (Word, LaTex) can be found on the LUT Academy Library website (link to the www-pages).
Approval of Studies for Graduation
The final check of studies is done at LUT Doctoral School before the manuscript of the dissertation is submitted for preliminary examination. Possible supplementary studies (extra studies required) have to be completed before the start of the preliminary examination.
Please note! All the studies to be included in the doctoral degree have to be registered before the permission to print is given by the Academic Council.
Further instructions (please see section Approval of Doctoral Studies for Graduation).
The manuscript of the dissertation must be checked with Turnitin (a web-based service for checking the originality of the text). Please note that it is done early enough before submitting the manuscript to the Dissertation Committee.
The student takes care of submitting material for the check by using a Moodle-course (Turnitin check for doctoral students YEAR). The supervisor is responsible for the interpretation of the originality report.
Further information and access to the Moodle-course: opetushelp(at)lut.fi.
The Dissertation Committee gives a statement on the manuscript of the dissertation and makes the decision to initiate the dissertation process and appoint preliminary examiners.
|Thursday 23.1. at 10||Wednesday 8.1. at noon|
|Tuesday 18.2. at 13||Monday 3.2. at noon|
|Tuesday 24.3. at 13||Monday 9.3. at noon|
|Wednesday 29.4. at 13||Tuesday 14.4. at noon|
|Tuesday 16.6. at 13||Monday 1.6. at noon|
The Vice Rector for Research and Innovation, Professor Jari Hämäläinen acts as the chair of the Dissertation Committee, and Professor Kaisu Puumalainen is the vice chair.
Full members (2019-2022)
Deputy members (2019-2022)
Prof. Kaisu Puumalainen
Prof. Kirsimarja Blomqvist
| || |
Prof. Kari Ullakko (Technical Physics)
The presenting officials from other research fields:
- Prof. Esa Vakkilainen (Energy Engineering)
- Prof. Jari Porras (Software Engineering) as of November 15, 2019
- Prof. Risto Soukka (Sustainability Science)
- Prof. Mika Mänttäri (Green Chemical Technology)
- Prof. Lasse Lensu (Computational Science)
Meeting preparations are done at LUT Doctoral School (office 2318).
The student submits to LUT Doctoral School (see contact information)
- one printed copy of the manuscript (A4, can be printed on both sides or one-sided and it needs to be in a folder or stapled) and the manuscript in electronic format (single PDF-document). In an article-based dissertation all publications must be included. NOTE! During the coronavirus outbreak and university closure it is not necessary to submit a printed copy of the manuscript, a PDF-document is sufficient.
- the application for starting the dissertation process including signatures of all officially appointed supervisors
Please make sure that the information in the manuscript concerning the supervisors (including supervisors' organisations) are correct.
The supervisor submits
- the proposal for preliminary examiners (instructions, link to intranet)
After the meeting LUT Doctoral School delivers the preliminary examiners
- an announcement of the decision
- an electronic version of the dissertation manuscript
- general instructions concerning the preliminary examination and the dissertation process
- the forms regarding the reward for the examination work
The preliminary statements are submitted to LUT Doctoral School. Based on the statements from the preliminary examiners, the Academic Council will decide on granting the permission to print the dissertation.
Research Ethics Issues
If you need an ethical review or statement for your research, please contact Ms. Victoria Kompanets. Further information is available on LUT intranet.