These instructions are for the applicants of Industrial Engineering and Management and Software Engineering (Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science).
Applications for the doctoral study right can be submitted as soon as the application package is complete and fulfills the requirements set for applying.
Please note! Having an employment relationship as a junior researcher at LUT University does not bring along the study right; instead, it has to be applied separately. The doctoral study right must be secured within one year of the start of the employment relationship.
The research field is the topic area of the studies, which is specified in the application for doctoral studies. The majority of the doctoral studies and the dissertation deal with the student's research field.
The persons responsible for the research fields are:
Industrial Engineering and Management - Professor Janne Huiskonen
Software Engineering - Professor Ajantha Dahanayake
The Application Process
The applicant contacts the potential primary supervisor in the research field well in advance to discuss the research idea and the plan for doctoral studies and research. If the professor is in favour of starting doctoral studies, the application is then submitted to LUT Doctoral School.
LUT Doctoral School checks the application package and the attachments. Next, the head of the doctoral programme evaluates the application by paying attention especially to the quality and feasibility of the research plan, scheduling, funding and the contents of studies. One criterion is the availability of supervisory resources in the area of the dissertation topic and that, if needed, another supervisor can also be appointed.
The vice rector for research and innovation makes a decision on granting the study right for doctoral studies. LUT Doctoral School sends the notice of acceptance and other essential material by regular mail. Please make sure that you give full details of your valid postal address in the application form.
If you are also employed by LUT University, see the information package for international staff on LUT web pages.
A supervision plan is made at the very beginning of the doctoral studies. The plan helps to communicate the general principles of good supervision and offers a tool to outline the supervision process from the student's and the supervisor's point of view.
The supervision plan also explains the responsibilities of the student, the supervisor(s) and other possible parties involved. LUT Doctoral School recommends that two supervisors are appointed for each doctoral student.
The supervision plan is part of the preliminary study and research plan that is submitted in the application package.
Please make use of the LUT Doctoral School model for the preliminary study and research plan (pdf, Word-version).
Instructions for compiling the plan - Industrial Engineering and Management, Software Engineering
1. The research plan in English (5-10 pages)
- the background and theory of the research
- a concise overview of the scientific discourse relevant to the research area
- the research problem and the objectives, motivation, viewpoint and delimitations of the research
- the research strategy and a description of the empirical material used in the research
- a list of references - a separate section; not to be counted in the required number of pages above
2. The plan for studies (total minimum 40 ECTS credits)
- research field studies min. 20 ECTS cr + studies supporting the field of research
- studies must include 5-20 ECTS cr of general studies related to methodology or making science (can be included in the research field studies and/or supporting studies)
- mode of study (if known)
- number of ECTS credits for separate study attainments
- anticipated time of completion - LUT Doctoral School recommends that all studies should be completed during the first two years of studying.
3. The publication plan
- intended publication dates
- possible topic areas of articles
- possible publication channels with Publication Forum-ratings
4. The financing plan for doctoral studies
- If the studying time is expected to be longer, please clarify the reason in the plan (e.g. studying part-time while working).