Eligibility to Apply
To be eligible to apply the applicant must have completed
1. an applicable higher university degree
2. an applicable higher polytechnic degree or
3. an applicable education completed abroad.
Students holding a Master's degree earned abroad are eligible for doctoral studies provided that their Master's degree gives them eligibility for corresponding higher education in the awarding country. As a rule, degrees earned abroad must have required studies of at least four years including a Master's thesis type final thesis, and if the doctoral programme considers they provide a sufficient foundation for postgraduate studies at the university.
The precondition for the recognition of European degrees is that the degree is a university degree combination earned in accordance with the Bologna Process principles (3+2 years). The applicant is required to submit information in English (e.g. a Diploma Supplement) on the extent and the level of the degree(s) obtained abroad when applying to LUT.
Economics and Business Administration: One-year (60 ECTS credits) MBA-degrees do not generally qualify for doctoral studies. Candidates with an MBA-degree and their eligibility to apply will be considered case-by-case.
The doctoral programme may require an applicant to take supplementary studies (max. 60 ECTS cr) for gaining sufficient basic knowledge for doctoral studies. Supplementary studies are not included in the doctoral degree.
The foregoing also applies to applicants who have already obtained a doctoral or licentiate degree from another field of study. In addition, the applicant must complete a sufficient amount of studies in his/her research field.
An applicant who has completed a licentiate degree in the same field is required only to complete a doctoral dissertation that is to be published in the field of research in question.
The potential of applicants with an applicable Finnish polytechnic Master's degree for successful doctoral studies is assessed by the doctoral programme case by case. Granting the right to study requires the university to determine the applicant's need for supplementary studies, the extent of which are minimum 30 ECTS credits.
The general criteria applied by LUT include the applicant's potential for scientific postgraduate studies, the level and feasibility of the applicant's research plan and the ability of the applicant to complete the studies in the target time. Schools/doctoral programmes may issue additional evaluation criteria.
Applicants from partner universities
Double doctoral degree and cotutelle (joint supervision) applicants can be chosen only if a written agreement on such cooperation has been made between the universities. The application procedure and requirements for getting the doctoral study right at LUT are generally the same as for other applicants. For further details please contact LUT Doctoral School.
In order to complete the degree of Doctor of Science (Technology) a background in scientific studies in technology is required. Any lacking knowledge of the research field or technology must be improved through supplementary studies.
If the applicant does not have a Finnish Master's degree in technology or equivalent technology degree completed abroad, the applicant may alternatively apply for the right to complete the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Before applying for doctoral studies, the applicant must complete the specified prerequisite courses or equivalent studies.
Unfortunately we do not have a possibility to make general assessments on education history for the eligibility to apply or to look for potential supervisors. Consequently, individual inquiries sent by e-mail cannot be answered.
LUT graduates and those with an existing connection to LUT
- If you are planning to start doctoral studies, please contact the professor of your field of interest in order to settle the basic issues (e.g. supervision and funding).
- After the supervisory resources and the eligibility to apply have been confirmed, you can submit the application to LUT Doctoral School for processing it further.
- For detailed information on the application process and school-level instructions, please see the section Application Processes of Doctoral Programmes (top right-hand corner of this page).
No existing connection to LUT
- Please fill in the form Expression of Interest. It is used for getting necessary information e.g. on educational background, funding and research interests of potential candidates. On the basis of that information it is possible to check if suitable supervisory resources are available.
- LUT does not grant scholarships for doctoral studies.
- Submitted forms will be processed approximately every second month.
- LUT will contact the senders after the initial assessment and checking supervisory resources has been done. Inquiries while the process is still ongoing will not be answered.
- Please note! The Expression of Interest-form is not an application for doctoral studies.
Doctoral Programme in Business and Management
Economics and Business Administration
Doctoral Programme in Energy Systems
Energy Market and Solar Economy
Doctoral Programme in Engineering Science
Green Chemical Technology
Industrial Engineering and Management
There are no specified application periods to apply for the study right.
The first supervisor must be an LUT professor, LUT docent, person employed by LUT holding a docentship in another university or associate professor on the tenure track at LUT. A person with a doctoral degree can be appointed as the second supervisor.
The student applies for changing/adding a supervisor. The decision is made by the doctoral programme in question.
Open junior researcher positions (employment), please see open positions at LUT.
Having an employment relationship as a junior researcher does not give the study right; instead, it has to be applied separately. The doctoral study right must be secured within a year of the start of the employment relationship.